Doc’s Blog

Dr. Andry’s Band Blog

About Dr. Andry

Dr. Kevin Andry, Director of Bands at St. Michael the Archangel High School in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is a musician, educator, and a strong role model for students and teachers alike.  Dr. Andry received a Bachelor of Music from Loyola University in New Orleans, LA in 1982, Master’s Degree in Music Performance from Louisiana State University in 1984, and a Ph.D. from Louisiana State University in 1988.  With over 28 years as a teacher in Diocesan high schools, “Doc” keeps a very busy schedule.  In addition to conducting Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Combos, and Liturgy Ensembles at St. Michael, he also is the Director of Bands at St. Jean Vianney Catholic School.  Doc plays horn in the Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra (for 34 seasons) and volunteers his time as a music minister for St. Jude Catholic Church for 30 years.

He is a recent recipient of the NCEA Secondary Schools Department Educational Excellence Award, the Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge Distinguished Secondary Educator Award and has been recognized as an outstanding educator by the Baton Rouge Symphony Organization. Doc is also an avid kayak fisherman and loves catching fish on his fly rod from his kayak. He chronicles his fishing trips on his kayak fishing blog at www.kevinandry.wordpress.com. He is married to his wonderful wife of 33 years, Lisa, and has two terrific children, Danielle and Dustin.

doc-conducts-sm.jpg

12 Comments

1. Hey Doc!!! I was thinking about you and decided to google your name. How is everything?

2. Hi Edwin. Good to hear from you. Everything’s going great. If you subscribe to this blog, you will be able to keep up with what’s going on over here. We just finished our Christmas Concert. We will be competing at Loyola and District Festival this year. You might be able to catch us at the Lee Fortier Invitational Jazz Concert at Baton Rouge High in March. Keep in touch.

Doc

3. That sounds great! Can you send me the information for that performance? My email address is elee14@lsu.edu. It’s great to hear from you!

4. Kevin,

Or is it “Doc” now? I just wanted you to know that I searched for you and found this site to show my 10 year old daughter about the horn. It was good to look you up and see what you have been doing for the past 20 years (hard to believe that it has been that long!).

Mike

5. Dr. Andry,

My name is Cole Thornton. I would love to get your feedback on a Music Education website I have been working on. I looked through your site, but I was unable to locate your email address. I look forward to talking with you.

-Cole Thornton

6. Sorry Cole, I am very happy with edublogs

7. Doc! Like Edwin, I was just thinking about you, and googled your name and there you were! I’m glad it was so easy to find a way to contact you. This is a great blog, too. Well, I just wanted to say hello and that I miss you!
    Kaci Elise

8. Hi Doc,
    I hope you are having a great summer. I wanted to check with you to get an update on the tenor sax repairs and the marching band music for the fall. You can send an email to me or my Mom.
    Thanks!
    Eric

9. Hi Doc,

I hope you don’t mind my sharing an app with you….

I’ve released a new version of an iPhone app that just might interest you. It’s called InTune and it’s for checking and improving intonation:

http://www.wittenberg.edu/music/intune

I’d be happy to send you a promo code for InTune! If it is of interest, perhaps you could talk about it on your blog.

A press release appears below

Thanks.

Dan Kazez, Professor of Music
    Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio
    InTune – http://www.wittenberg.edu/music/intune

10. Hello!
    My name is Elizabeth Potter and I’m working on a documentary about how and why to continue music after high school. I recently came across your website and thought you might be interested in our project. Here’s the link to our Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/828077127/carry-the-tune?ref=live. Feel free to pass it on to anyone you think may be interested!
    Thanks so much!
    Elizabeth

11. DOC! You look exactly the same since my time at RHS…14 years ago now.

I came across your blog while searching for my choir teacher at Redemptorist (2000 – 2001). Maybe you can help me track her down? I’ve also been hunting for a few other things with little success. My email address is natalie_bickham@kindermorgan.com,

In any case, I’m glad I found your website! Hope to hear from you soon, and thank you!

12. Congratulations (re: Disney Fest 2016), Kevin. As usual, you are producing a top-notch program. Great students and great teacher.