Doc’s Blog

Dr. Andry’s Band Blog

Ready…Set…Go!

| 0 comments

Dear Band Parents, Friends, and Warrior Band Family:

Welcome to a brand new year! I am excited and I look forward to another great year working with your young musicians! It is going to be our LAST YEAR in our current band room…but more about that later.

Drum Camp (Percussion Camp) has been going on all week and my drumline nearly has all the music for the contest show under their chops already. We begin band camp next week and I already look forward to our camp performance on Friday after dinner. If you haven’t already read our Warrior Band Newsletter, please take a look at it now.  Warrior newsletter XIV-1nv3qik

I have had a few questions from some of you about uniforms, band fees, etc. We have our annual Band Parents (sometimes referred to Band Boosters) meeting next Thursday. Because we only have one of these a year I ask that everyone attend. If you cannot make the meeting, please have a responsible adult represent you. We will be able to answer all your questions at that time. I was also asked about band fees and costs of being in band. Those of you coming from a parochial middle school band program are probably used to paying a semester tuition for band. There is no tuition fee for band at St. Michael. We do, however, have a band fee of $80 which pays for meals for your children during band camp week and for five post game meals. I will explain more about the post game meals at the band parent meeting next Thursday. Other than that, the only costs for parents are the pep band shirts which are used as uniforms during hot games, the Dinkles (marching band shoe), and black slacks (which are also used during marching band). Girls wear all black for our formal concerts (Christmas Concert, Spring Concert, and District Large Ensemble Assessment Festival) and there will be there will be plenty parents at the meeting who can answer your questions about girls’ attire. As for me, I haven’t bought girls’ clothing in many years (my daughter is 32 now) but I HAVE bought a couple cute monogramed fishing shirts for my beautiful 19-month old granddaughter. 🙂

One more thing. Some of you have been a little confused with the flow of things because of the construction on campus. Please drop-off and pickup your children in the back of the school by the band room. To get there, use the driveway by the baseball field and go all the way to the back. Then follow the driveway to the left and go behind the school. You will pass the practice football field (on your right) and continue until you see the two-story building. That’s where our current band room is located. Once we finish construction, we will move to our beautiful new band room! We have been waiting for this for quite sometime now and I cannot tell you how excited I am about seeing that construction in progress!

Again, welcome to our band family. It’s going to be a great year!

Doc