Doc’s Blog

Dr. Andry’s Band Blog

Welcome Back!

| 0 comments

Dear Band Parents and Students,

Welcome back to the beginning of a new year! We have already completed our drum/percussion camp and we are currently smack dab in the middle of a very productive Band Camp! In fact, we learned the drill for the first movement in two days and I fully expect to have the first two movements ready to be performed for you at 7:30, at the conclusion of Friday’s camp.

The following are important information for you to be aware of before the start of school. Please see the attached Warrior Band Newsletter. Warrior newsletter XIII-zt0ti4 It has important dates in it as well as policy and grading procedures. Please submit your check for $35 made payable to St. Michael High School for your band fee. This helps to pay for feeding your children during band camp, and funding for our annual Warrior Band Night. Please send a separate check for $45, made payable to Allison Gaspard for $45 for post-game meals. The post-game meals are provided for football players, band, dancers, cheerleaders, and other support groups involved for 5 Friday-night football games. It provides a fun, supervised experience for students to enjoy a meal and social interaction after a Friday football game and will be catered by Tramonte’s.

Please refer to the newsletter and have your child’s paperwork turned in no later than the start of school. I know some of you have the paperwork but you are missing the physical. Please turn in the other paperwork by the first day of school and get the physical to me when you can.

I have seen a lot of parent volunteers at camp this week and I want to personally thank you for being an active participant in your child’s band and school experience. I tell my students that there are basically two types of people in this world: participants and spectators. I challenge my students to be lifelong participants in everything they do. It’s great to see the example set by their parents! Parents, you are going to enjoy this band experience as much as your children. I have parents who stop in to help who no longer have children in the Warrior Band!

Finally, I will be taking orders for pep band shirts and Dinkles. The pep band shirts act as our uniform during hot weather football games. Dinkles are the uniform marching band shoe that, incidentally, can double as an approved school shoe (it’s black and inexpensive). Parents can order pep band shirts to show their pride in our Warrior band too. The shirts are $37.17 for adult small – extra large and $38.38 for XXL. This price includes 10% tax. The Dinkle Glide shoe is $27, which includes shipping. Please get your orders in for shirts and shoes by the first day of school. Feel free to email me your size and have your child bring a check to school on the first day.

I have scheduled band pictures (in our formal uniforms) for Monday, August 14 at 3 PM after school. We begin by taking a group formal pic. That will be followed by small groups (seniors, siblings, etc.) and then individuals. We should be finished by 4. These pictures will be available for purchase from Barklell Studios. You will receive information from your children about purchase options at that time. Note, percussion will not rehearse with me after school that day. Speaking of rehearsals…after-school rehearsals will begin the first full week of school. Percussion on Monday, August 7 with full band rehearsals beginning on Tuesday, the 8th.

I think that’s it for now. Again. Thanks to all of you who have worked so hard to make our camp successful. I look forward to a very fun, productive year!

Doc